I got a phone call and email from the customer this morning. The new version of our software was bombing. The error was ORA-01848: day of year must be between 1 and 365. Ouch. That looks like such an amateur programming error.
So I traced where we were doing the date stuff in our code. Turns out we were trying to compose a DATE value. The input to the date was some data in the database. Yep. The customer test data was invalid. I pointed this out to them. Some of their days were well over 365 in value.
I got another call in the afternoon. They were still getting the ORA-01848. I walked them through to check whether the bay dates were fixed. They were. Must be something else. Made sure they were going to the right database. Yep. But there was only one place in the code where we did this date stuff.
Finally it hit me. Maybe some of their dates were too small. Yep. Had some records where the day was 000 (minimum must be at least 001). Now I am crossing my fingers. The moral of the story might be for me to validate all the data before using it in any date calculations.
Be Brave to Get Work Done - I was woken up this morning from a call from work. Not a good sign. Apparently the customer found a potential problem in our delivery. I got on a conferen...