Be Brave to Get Work Done - I was woken up this morning from a call from work. Not a good sign. Apparently the customer found a potential problem in our delivery. I got on a conferen...
The developer said he must first access the network share with Windows Explorer before any of our apps can use the share to get to the TNSnames.ora file. He thinks that maybe Windows need to cache the network share information or something. That did not sound like a sound theory. But the evidence was plain. He said the first time after a reboot, he always get a database not found error. The second time he tries, our apps work fine.
Well there may be some truth to this theory. However he went on to generalize that maybe the users of our system might encounter some problem when cached data is not present, and a database call times out. That just does not seem to have a leg to stand on though.
For starters, we put the TNSnames.ora file on the local C: disk drive of our customer' computers. So there should be no delay in accessing that file. Sure the database server is far away, accessed over the network. However I cannot believe that some delay will cause a timeout resulting in random application errors.
They were using SQL Developer. One of the testers wondered if this could be a problem with the query tool. That was doubtful. But hey. It could not hurt to try viewing the data with another tool. So another tester pulled out TOAD and tried to bring up the data. Most of the data seemed empty.
The testers figured that SQL Developer was just displaying all the data, regardless of how strange it was. TOAD on the other hand, was just supressing the display of weird looking data. This did not help us understand why the data was bad. It just was an interesting observation.
The data in the main table was SQL*Loaded from a file the testers were creating. Further inspection of this file showed that the positioning was incorrect. Perhaps that was the source of the weird looking data. Further research is required.