MongoDB

Previously I had written an overview of the NoSQL movement. Today I want to talk a little more about a specification implementation. I will cover MongoDB.

NoSQL has some niche applications. Sometimes your information does not fit into a database schema. MongoDB tries to provide high performance. This is in contrast to other NoSQL implementations which are gerared toward high concurrency.

There are no transactions in MonogoDB. You can't recover from an abrupt shutdown. MongoDB is good if you need data quickly, and you access the data frequently. JSON is used as the default data notation. Internally MongoDB uses BSON (binary JSON). MongoDB itself is written in C++.

The use of MongoDB is very similar to using a traditional relational database. I have not played with it yet. Not sure that I will. You still need to know what the competition is using though.