I had to fix a problem they were having using a back end process in production. Seems a processing command was resulting in an Oracle error. I investigated and found that the key stored procedure was commented out of the package. So I reenabled the procedure and thought we were good to go.
I got a call from our DBA. He said my code changes would not work in some of the other database schemas. When I got in to work, I found that the other schemas were missing a key column in the staging database table. That should never happen. We got a database configuration management issue.
So I thought we could just add the column everywhere. Some more analysis showed me this would not correct the whole problem. In the end I decided to recode the stored procedure to use another technique to derive the necessary data using some assumptions. This whole episode made me a bit leery about the state of our databases.
Customer Sales Starts With Respect - I sold my old car recently. After turning in the license plates, I called my insurance company to cancel the insurance on the car. They said they could al...