Errors in Report


A tester informed me with a number of problems with one of the reports out code produces. One specific problem was that the title of the report indicated there were errors. The report itself was not that big. The SQL was a bit complex.

I asked for some logs from the server. When I poured through them, I found references to an ORA-14551. That error indicates some code is trying to do some DML in the middle of my SELECT statement. I did not see any explicit UPDATE/INSERT/DELETE statements.

Then I went to the end of the procedures called by the report. Turns out the exception handler tried to add some records to the database. Ooops. You can't do that in the middle of a SELECT statement. I think I could just push that error handling down to the report, out of the stored procedure. Problem solved.