Saved by the Notes

I attended a meeting called by the new manager. He compiled a list of things he thought we going out in the next release. He wanted to make sure all the developers were on the same page as him. There were a bunch of developers in attendance.

I had actually prepared for the meeting. I went over every item I was doing for the next release. I new my statuses. When it came to my turn, the manager asked me about my items. Then he asked about an extra item. It was not on my radar. So I said I needed some time to research it.

There were some surprises like they were taking the database down on the last week of our development schedule. So the pressure is on to deliver early. I looked up the extra item in our ticketing system. It rung a bell. A tester wrote a defect against something I pushed out in the last release.

So I went back to the original ticket that backed the work I did last time. There in the notes were all the details. I documented exactly what I had done, where I left things when I went on vacation, and the details of the progress made while I was on vacation.

Somehow the info did not get forwarded into the new ticket. This issue was a non-issue. Thankfully I write everything down into the notes section of my tickets so I don't have to remember these pesky details.