Performance Views

I recently read an good article in Oracle Magazine about the fundamentals of performance tuning. Actually it was almost an introduction to tuning. I already knew about the V$SESSION view that tells you what your session is waiting for. However I discovered there is also a V$SESSION_EVENT view as well. This view is a history of waits that your session has encountered over its lifetime. Now that is some good stuff. The view itself is small. There are not that many columns. But you can get a lot of data by quering it.

I had heard about the V$SESSTAT view before. But I had not used it before and did not even know how to use it. This important view will help you determine what resources are being used. Yessir good stuff. You should really check out the Artical in the Nov/Dev 2012 Oracle magazine. Perhaps it is online somewhere. The title was "Beginning Performance Tuning: Diagnose the Past". Good luck peeps.