Orale 12c Baby

Yesterday I decided it was time to install Oracle on my laptop. I downloaded Oracle Database 12c Release 12.1.0.2.0 from Oracle. The 64-bit Windows edition requires two zip files to be downloaded. They were 1.5G each in size.

If you want to program with Oracle components, you will need one of the following versions of Microsoft Visual Studio:
  • Visual C++ 2010 SP1
  • Visual C++ 2012
  • Visual C++ 2013 Update 2
Note that the VC++ 2013 does not work with Pro*C yet. Here are some components that you can use if you have the right development environment from Microsoft:
  • Oracle Call Interface
  • Pro*C/C++
  • XDK
Somewhere I read that I would only get a 30 day evaluation. What? I want a free version of Oracle that I can play around with indefinitely. But for now, 30 days will work. I ran the setup.exe program. It launches a command prompt style window. That in turn launches the Oracle Universal Installer.

Oops. The Universal Installer would not run on my machine. It complained that the Java run-time was not found at "bin\jawaw.exe". I was directed to go to http://www.javasoft.com to install the JRE version 1.4 or higher. Umm I thought the installer was supposed to install Oracle's own version of the JRE.