Users Galore

I had installed Oracle 12c on my laptop. It informed me that Enterprise Manager was accessible using this link: https://localhost:5500/em.

Before I could run over and log in with Enterprise Manger, I decided to click the Password Management button at the end of the database install and configuration. There were a ton of accounts that got created for free with the database.

The only two accounts that were unlocked by default were SYS and SYSTEM. I always wondered what the difference between these two were. They are both real users with schemas. SYS owns the data dictionary tables. I guess SYSTEM is one I should log onto first to create my real daily user?

One thing I do know is that these are unlike SYSDBA and SYSOPER, which are actually roles and not users. The real surprise was the tons of other users that got created by default. I left all those user accounts locked by default. Here are the multitude of accounts:
  • OUTLN
  • LBACSYS
  • OLAPSYS
  • SI_INFORMTN_SCHEMA
  • DVSYS
  • ORDPLUGINS
  • XDB
  • ANONYMOUS
  • CYXSYS
  • ORDDATA
  • GSMADMIN_INTERVAL
  • APPQOSSYS
  • APEX_040200
  • WMSYS
  • DBSNMP
  • ORDSYS
  • MDSYS
  • DVF
  • FLOWS_FILES
  • AUDSYS
  • GSMUSER
  • SPATIAL_WFS_ADMIN_USR
  • SPATIAL_CSW_ADMIN_USR
  • APEX_PUBLIC_USER
  •  SYSDG
  • DIP
  • SYSBACKUP
  • MDDATA
  • GSMCATUSER
  • SYSKM
  • ORACL_OCM
Those were a lot of users. Some of the names were chosen well so I have an idea of what they are used for. I will have to do some Internet research to find out more. For now I tried logging into the database. At first it kept complaining that my username/password were wrong. Took a while to figure out that I had the caps lock on when I typed in the passwords for SYS and SYSTEM.

In Enterprise Manager, I went over to Security|Users to create my first user account. Now we are cooking with gas. I think I am going to have some fun with this database. Already got a few applications that I need written.