ASM and Partitioning

I have to confess that I skipped a lot of chapter in the last Oracle 11g book that I read. This is because I am not a DBA. Most topics I defer to our actual DBA team. But it is good to know a thing or two about Oracle database internals.

One example is ASM. It stands for Automatic Storage Management. This is a file and disk manager for Oracle files. Note that you don't need Real Application Clusters (RAC) to take advantage of ASM.

Partitioning is not a new topic. We have been using table partitioning in my project for many years now. This is the process of breaking a table into smaller chunks to improve performance. There are difference types of partitioning such as range, list, hash, composite, reference, and more.

Range partitioning is where you choose a column, and the values in the column determine which partition the records are placed. You define a range of values that the column takes on for each partition.